4th century city walls of Constantine the Great. Later in the 5th century, when Theodosius II built his famous double line walls for the defense of the city, the church became incorporated within these city defenses and practically Chora church was no longer in the countryside. However, the name Chora was retained. Then, in 1453 during the last siege of Constantinople, the icon of Theotokos Hodegetria – a depiction of Virgin Mary, known as the protector of the city, was brought to Constantinople. Nevertheless, the city was taken by storm. Around 50 years after the fall of the city, the Grand Vezier of the Sultan converts Chora Church into a mosque. Thus, Chora goes through another part of its life – as a mosque, for four centuries.